Saturday, September 6, 2008

def professor talks to Davey D about Chuck D

This is an excerpt from an impromptu interview with me by Davey D regarding what Chuck D has meant to me (and the people I work with in my communities). Chuck D is not only a pioneer artist and creative guru, but he is also a compassionate and inspirational political character whose ethical concerns and moral convictions continue to push me to work harder to secure social justice. Knowing him has had a profound impact on my pedagogy and research practice as well as my personal life. I am a bit exuberant here, but, trust me, it is well deserved. In my opinion, there is no other Hiphop artist who is as accomplished and ethical as Chuck D.



[[Editorial Note: SFSU’s Africana/ Black Studies Department was most likely not the FIRST academic site of study for peoples included in the African-Diaspora on planet earth (think Timbuktu & centers in ancient Egypt, for example). However, it is the FIRST modern academic department in a United States university. Prior to the student strike of 1968, there were not departments of Black Studies/ African American Studies/ Afro-American Studies/ Africana Studies as we know these departments to exit today. Such departments were founded by students with a unique curriculum that is simultaneously activist- and community service-oriented while being anchored in theory and research that serves to improve the lives of all human beings.]]

No comments: