Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Reconstruction

The nightmare is OVER on the national level, and the saga continues on the local level. Obama took it with a historic margin! No dragging it out all night or for days, no supreme court justices, no jankiness. Straight up victory! Like UGod/ Golden Arms said in Triumph, we feel "the thrill of victory!"

I experienced my most memorable election night since I began voting. A strange turn of events caused me to end up far from my current home and adjacent to my old neighborhood in West Oakland. I met my friends and "family" at Everette and Jones BBQ restaurant to watch some of election coverage, feed our kids and listen to some live music. By the time I left multiple roads were shut down and at least a thousand people had taken to celebrating in the streets around the restaurant and at various spaces downtown. People in cars were honking. Fireworks were being set off. People were crying and hugging and dancing and chanting! I was HOME. This was LOVE. I am thankful that my son and I experienced this together, and I am excited that we awere able to share it with his siblings and our friends. We are building our future. Cause we can; )

Given all of the love tonight, I am disappointed by some news from our city and state elections. Proposition 8, which seeks to interfere with human's fundamental right to marriage, was passing by a thin margin. That makes me ill. As I always quote MLK, Jr.: Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. I am hoping that when I wake up tomorrow and all the votes are counted that Proposition 8 will not pass. For now, that struggle continues, and I am still singing UGod's verse:

"Olympic torch flamin, it burns so sweet; the thrill of victory; the agony [of] defeat.... judgement day cometh, conquer it's war."

No comments: